Hyper Local News Pages

Web Stats Provided By Google Analytics

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

09/26/11 Letter to the Editor: In Support of Marianna Ponns Cohen for the BOE

To Greenwich Roundup:


Please accept my letter to the editor set forth below in support of the BOE candidacy of Marianna Ponns Cohen.


Thank you.


Rebecca S. Breed

Greenwich, CT


To the editor:



When I grew up in Greenwich, there was no question that Greenwich public schools ranked among the best in the nation. Later, when I returned to my hometown after my marriage and in the '80s when I served as First Selectman of Greenwich, that outstanding reputation of the schools was still intact.

Recently I was shocked to read that the standing of our schools has slipped substantially. Despite the highest cost per pupil in the state, if not the nation, test results of Greenwich students, which for better or worse, are the only objective measures of student achievement, are significantly below those of other Connecticut school districts. We are now 48th among 166 Connecticut school districts.

Marianna Ponns Cohen has been the conscience of the Board of Education during her past term. Marianna will continue to advocate a strong curriculum and to demand accountability on the part of the Board and the administration for both improved student performance and responsible fiscal stewardship.

I urge you to join me in voting in November for Marianna Ponns Cohen for another term on our Board of Education.

Rebecca S. Breed

Greenwich Native

Greenwich, CT

No comments:

The Raw Greenwich Blog And RSS Feed - Bloggers Who Are From, Work In Or Used To Live In Greenwich