Hyper Local News Pages

Web Stats Provided By Google Analytics

Friday, August 1, 2008

08/01/08 First And Foremost Houston Is A Man Of God Who Brings His Family To Harvest Time Church Every Sunday He Is In Town

Former NBA player Allan Houston prepares to pass the ball Friday evening during a shoot around with some of the youth from the Boys To Men summit.

Former NBA star Allan Houston in town

Dothan Eagle

By Ken Rogers

Allan Houston isn’t ready to hang up his sneakers — not by a longshot.

The former NBA all-star who had a brief comeback try with the New York Knicks last October, says he’s serious about returning to the court this season.

“I never really saw it being over in my heart,” said Houston, who retired in 2005 after 12 seasons with the Knicks. “I’m getting ready and have been looking at a few teams, getting the word out.”

Houston was in Dothan on Friday to take part in the Boys to Men Summit at Greater Beulah Baptist Church. He spoke to the many children gathered for the summit, and took time Friday night in a shootaround and pizza party with the group at the Dothan Civic Center.

Now 37, Houston spent 15 seasons in the NBA, and was considered one of the top shooting guards in the league. The 6-foot-8 former Tennessee star spent the first three years of his pro career with Detroit, then the next 12 as a standout for the Knicks.

Last October he attempted a comeback with the Knicks, but a week after being signed decided the time and situation wasn’t right for him to return to New York.

“I kind of waited a little too late,” Houston said of last year. “I had a daughter that had just been born (Oct. 4, 2007), and I didn’t want to leave her, and New York probably wasn’t the best fit for me.”

Houston had problems with both of his knees late in his career, but says he’s fine physically now.

“I feel like they’re (knees) 100 percent,” he said.

Since being away from the game, Houston’s top priority has been family time.

He will not take part in tonight’s exhibition basketball games at the Dothan Civic Center because of wanting to get back to his family in Greenwich, Conn., after being away for a week.

I try to limit the time I’m away as much as possible,” said Houston, who has a wife and four children. “I give them the time they deserve from a husband and a dad.".

Houston says he enjoys trying to be a positive role model with all children he comes in contact with as he did throughout the day in Dothan on Friday.

“That’s my passion,” Houston said. “My dad was so influential to me. I see that my relation with him has made me who I am. My passion is to try and share the principles he taught me."

I take enjoyment when their ears light up instead of their eyes. When they (children) are focused and are asking questions, I get excited to hear they do want to be leaders....

=================================================

Please send your comments to GreenwichRoundup@gmail.com


No comments:

The Raw Greenwich Blog And RSS Feed - Bloggers Who Are From, Work In Or Used To Live In Greenwich