Hyper Local News Pages

Web Stats Provided By Google Analytics

Friday, September 12, 2008

09/12/08 The Greenwich Post Knows About Frank Mazza Getting Another 700,000, But They Don't Know About The Leaks And Mold Conditions At Ham Ave School


The Hearst Newspapers

Are So

Behind The Times:


Greenwich Citizen Editor Don Harrisson Is Still Clueless About School Board Member Michael Bodson's Hamilton Avenue School Email Concerning Mold


Please See Greenwich Post Story:



However, The Greenwich Citizen is reporting.....





The Representative Town Meeting (RTM) Monday will be asked to authorize the expenditure of $700,000 in additional funds to finish Hamilton Avenue School - a languishing Worth Construction of Bethel project that is $6 million above original estimates and 18 months behind schedule.


Frank Mazza, a former selectman and chairman of the Hamilton Ave. building committee, will make the case for the hefty bundle of extra dollars during the meeting that starts at 8 p.m. in Central Middle School.


He reports the request has the blessing of the building committee, the Board Education and the Office of First Selectman Peter Tesei.


Part of the additional funds will be used to correct errors holding up issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) needed before pupils can be returned to what is supposed to be a spiffy new school.


One of the mistakes was positioning thermostats and telephone jacks too high. To conform to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the fixtures need to be lowered......


More From The Greenwich Citizen:




MEN ON FIRE and U2CHARIST are among new spiritual offerings at Christ Church Episcopal stirred by the ....




Alison McKnight Lombardi, 49, of 24 Indian Pass in Cos Cob, the divorced mother of three children, was brutally murdered last Friday morning by her children's paternal grandfather, Gerardo Lombardi, 75, of 38 Nicholas Ave...




For the first time during the 2008 hurricane season, Greenwich's emergency response brass were summoned to a summit meeting Friday as Tropical Storm Hanna threatened to bear down on Greenwich...




An open letter to all student-athletes: Your high school season begins in earnest this week: games begin.




Parents and their teenagers need to communicate. That's an objective families have wanted to achieve for generations, but the results of a new study by the Partnership for a Drug-Free America reveals that there is no greater time than now for parents and kids to start talking.




9/11 Memories: Horribly Enduring


To the Editor:


As the seventh anniversary of the catastrophic events on Sept. 11, 2001 approaches, it is easy to allow our memories to fade about what happened in New York City, Washington, D.C., and a lonely field in Pennsylvania. Here is why I will never forget that day.


I still can picture the clear blue skies as I left home that morning en route to my job at a law firm in the Chase Manhattan Building a few blocks from the World Trade Center.


Little did anyone know what would transpire that day, but it became obvious that something was wrong the moment I exited the Wall Street subway station at Broadway and Liberty Plaza. As I exited the station I was engulfed in smoke streaming down from one of the Twin Towers. All around me memos and other papers floated from the sky.


As I ran across the street, thinking the building above the subway was on fire, I saw a fire truck zooming toward the Towers. I can still picture the young faces hanging out the windows and standing on the back platform of the ladder truck. I am still haunted by their faces and the voice that directed pedestrians to clear the street to allow the truck to get through.



Still not knowing what happened, I stood on Liberty Plaza and looked up to see the blackened windows and smoke bellowing out of the first tower. I quickly got on my cell phone (which actually worked) and called my parents to tell them that something had hit the World Trade Center. I wondered if my sister-in-law got to work.


My journey that day was not over. I helped a woman who had been on her way to the Deutsch Bank Building, but stopped for coffee at a shop across the street just as the first plane hit. In the panic to exit the coffee shop, she fell and had been trampled by other patrons. She was trying to contact her husband. I suggested that she accompany me to my office where she could call him. I worked on the 58th floor of the Chase Building.


We proceeded to my office. As we walked the one block to the building, I remember that I looked down and saw a plane ticket. I resisted picking it up, but remember wondering if the person who the ticket was for was still alive. Once in my office, I sat her down and told her that we could look at what was going on from my office window. I no sooner said that when I looked and saw the second plane circle in from New Jersey, and then make a direct hit on the South Tower.


I can still hear the pilot throttling down to slow the plane's speed as it impacted the building. I can still see the color of the plane - grey for the color of United Airlines - although I did not see the plane's logo as it hit the building. I can still see the images of the people in their seats as the plane careened through the building, the nose of the plane coming through on the other side and the fire ball that erupted at impact.


I remember the panic as I finally realized that the first plane that hit the North Tower was not an accident. I remember seeing people jumping from the Towers to escape the burning inferno. I remember the horrific smells from the smoldering rubble that we all endured in the months that followed.


I was one of the lucky ones that day. I was able to climb down 58 stories to the ground floor of my building. I escaped ahead of the falling buildings and was not engulfed in their ashes. Almost 3,000 ordinary souls who were climbing down the stairs of the Twin Towers and the firefighters who rushed up to save them were not as fortunate. I did not personally know anyone who died that day. Yet until I am finally laid to rest they will all be a part of me.


While Sept. 11, 2001 may fade in the memories of many Americans, what happened that day and the people who died as a result of pure evil will never be forgotten by me. May their memories be eternal.


May we never forget the ordinary people who went to work as they always did and never returned home. May we never forget Sept. 11, 2001.


Karen Fassuliotis
Greenwich


================================================

Please send comments to GreenwichRoundup@gmail.com

No comments:

The Raw Greenwich Blog And RSS Feed - Bloggers Who Are From, Work In Or Used To Live In Greenwich